What's your style?
Are you a low-maintenance person, not a lot of free time? Then a condo or townhouse might be right for you.
Do you like having a yard or pool? Do you want a lot of privacy? Then buying a single family home might be the way to go.
We find it useful to go through a checklist of must-have's as a way to get started in your home search.
Here are some helpful questions to get you started:
- Is having a yard important to you? If so, can you make do with a small yard? What size yard is ideal?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need? What square footage do you prefer?
- Is there any specific part of the city/area that you prefer?
- Do you have children? Is there a specific school or school district you’d prefer to live in/near?
- Do you have pets? If looking at condo or townhouse complexes, there may be weight/size/breed restrictions.
- Are you interested in a new home, a resale home, or both?
- Do you or any members of your family have any disabilities, conditions, or other circumstances that would require specific home features?
- What style of home would you prefer? (ie Mediterranean, Contemporary, Bungalow, traditional, brick, stucco, etc)
- Are stairs acceptable?
- Do you need an open floor plan? Is entertaining important for you?
- Would you like a patio/deck, or enough space to create one?
- Is having a pool important? Are you open to adding a pool at a later time?
- Do you want a garage? If so, how many bays?
- Do you work from home? Do you need an office, or an extra spot in the house for office equipment?